photo © Cristina Ramirez
Yummy, yummy! Try it...
Ingredients for ribs (yields 4 servings):
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup sake (Japanese rice wine), Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 piece (1 inch) peeled fresh ginger, minced
2 scallions, white parts minced, green parts thinly sliced
3 lbs. individual beef short ribs
Ingredients for fried rice (yields 4 side servings):
4 cups cold cooked white rice
2 tablespoons of canola oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons o water
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon butter
(reserved sliced green parts thinly sliced of the above scallions used for ribs)
Preparation For Ribs:
1. Stir sugar, brown sugar, soy sauce, sake, garlic, pepper, ginger and scallion whites in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Whisk to mix. Stir in short ribs. Cover the bowl and let the ribs marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Line bottom a broiler pan with foil. Arrange ribs on the broiler rack, reserving marinade for basting. Roast in middle of oven, basting with marinade every 20 minutes, until ribs are tender and glaze is well browned, about 1 3/4 hours. Discard any unused marinade.
4. Reserve the sliced green parts of the scallions for garnishing the fried rice.
Preparation for fried rice:
1. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil and butter to coat skillet evenly. Saute garlic.
2. Over medium heat; add rice, salt and pepper to the skillet.
3. Add the soy sauce and water to the skillet and stir. Continue cooking, stirring occassionally, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Garnish with sliced green parts of scallions.
(For other variations, add eggs, vegetables, pineapple, bacon, pork, beef, chicken etc.)